Welcome to my Human Thought Factory Outlet... step inside for a wide selection and HUGE savings on all of my favorite (and random) spews!

Thursday, February 03, 2005

If he... wanna be Freakin'...

My life these days is usually measured in days that I freak out about being a father versus days that I'm looking forward to it (but still freaking out). Being a parent is a huge responsibility, but much like the concept of love, involves a lot more work than rhetoric and feelings. People have asked me what I'm afraid of the most... I think that's it: The amount of constant work involved. The part that's tough is that it literally takes a lifetime before kids appreciate what their parents did/do for them. I have a feeling I'm about to take several more step towards that appreciation in the coming years. So I'm mentally preparing for the patience involved.

I am curious to see what the flip side will be - so many of my friends rave about being parents. You rarely hear people talk about how hard it is and how much they miss the days before they were parents, so I'm hoping it will be a life experience that will be worth it. (Not that there's much I can do about it right now.) And since I'm preparing for the worst (screaming baby 24/7), there's a lot of room for pleasant surprises!

Monday we find out the sex and I'll try to post any evidence. After hoping for a girl for several weeks, I'm back to not caring too much one way or the other.

3 Comments:

Blogger ML said...

See, that is what I find refreshing. You are both being hoenst about freaking out and yet your character isn't going to allow you to bail out on the kid. That gives me hope. Not only am I excited for you guys, I'm excited for your kid, they are going to have a great set of parents, who yes, screw up all the time, but I think less than you might think. Plus, some of it is just luck. As I've said in the past, the Lord knows he has already shocked you guys, maybe you will get a break on raising him/her. :)

1:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry Chewy, you'll have plenty of babysitters. You could use the hottub as a perk to babysit...
Barrett

6:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto what ML says. I look forward to seeing how well you adapt to life with a kid! -J

11:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home