Welcome to my Human Thought Factory Outlet... step inside for a wide selection and HUGE savings on all of my favorite (and random) spews!

Friday, November 19, 2004

My Wife, the Doctor



There are many things to be thankful for and be happy about this morning. Although VT's trashing of MD to stay atop the ACC is the most fresh, the greatest thing about this morning is that my wife defended her dissertation yesterday and passed! She's officially Dr. Wife now! A lot of people have asked me (mostly joking, I think) whether or not that makes me feel wierd or inferior or if it puts the pressure on. The answer is, of course, a resounding "hell no"! But it did get me thinking about this topic. I do think that society in general feels wierd about such things, so allow me to retort:

One of the things that has benefited us (individually & as a couple) more than anything is the shedding -and shredding- of classical roles and expectations within our marriage. We've really treated each other as equals and therefore have given each other as much freedom as we can ...and that pemeates into every aspect of life, including careers. If I was to hold her to my limits for the sake of assuming some gender roles, I would be selling her short, and consequently, selling "us" and "me" short. To prove what? That my ego is bigger than it should be? That my penis is smaller than I'm comfortable with? That we're somehow more "Godly" through oppression?! F all that! I'm very proud of my wife: 3.5 years into marriage she continues to wow me. I still find her incredibly beautiful, interesting, intelligent, and dynamic - among other things! I'm going to do everything I can to encourage that and to help her achieve all the things she wants, and then some. This is, imho, both godliness and feminism at its best.

Congratulations, Baby! You Rock!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

nothing beats mutual respect

-Dr. Wife

7:12 PM

 
Blogger Kevin Cieslukowski said...

Natalie congratulations from Chez and Laura!!!

And to you too Chew for finding an awesome woman!!!

You guys are awesome.

8:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too too awesome! Way to go Natalie! Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof!!!!

And Chew, you've got a great mentality and mindset for your marriage - I am sure many people could use it in their own marriage. Too bad those petty things like ego and penis size seem to dictate, more than love and mutual respect, how marriages tend to go...

-Jeremiah

10:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home