College Football meets the NFL
Today's history lesson is given by me, aka: geezer extraordinaire, for the benefit of all you young whipper-snappers out there who think that Hokie football is over until next August. NOT true... for before you this week, is a classic match-up of epic proportions with nothing less than complete revenge on the line for all the Hokie nation: I'm talking about the NFC Championship game between Atlanta and Philidelphia.
For those of you who don't remember, or weren't around back then, when Virginia Tech used to be in the Big East conference, we used to play Syracuse every year. And every year we played them in Lane stadium, we won. Every year we played them in the Carrierdome, THEY won. Some losses were important ('94 when it was our first loss of the season and destroyed our chance of getting ranked and/or any respect), and others were downright heartbreaking. None was more so than 1998, when the Hokies went up there and had a commanding lead in the 4th quarter, only to watch McNabb bring Syracuse back. They needed a touchdown to win with seconds left. McNabb drove them down to inside the 20, and... on the last play of the game, on 4th down, just after throwing up on the sidelines, after being nearly sacked, and after nearly being driven out of bounds, McNabb puts up a prayer to the end zone and Syracuse wins the game. No, Vick didn't play in that game, but I'm told he was in the stadium as a redshirt freshman.
Well... it's PAYBACK!!! Tune in to watch McNabb and the Eagles go down to Michael Vick and the Atlanta Falcons with the Superbowl on the line! Go Hokies!!!! ... uh... I mean... Go Falcons!!

4 Comments:
See, that makes this game so much more interesting to me. Otherwise it is just two east coast teams that I could care less about. I'm still not sure I will watch it, but I might try to find out the result now. Thanks Teacher!! :)
2:49 PM
Sigh.
What a crappy superbowl match-up. Do i root against the Eagles because of my disdain for Philly fans and for McNabb? Or do i root against the patriots because I'm sick of them?
10:50 AM
It's unpatriotic for you to root for anyone other than the NE Patriots. If you don't, I will report you to the feds, and they will try you as a terrorist.
12:38 PM
no no no. The feds don't care if I'm unpatriotic. That won't get me in trouble. But if I'm un-CHRISTIAN... especially un-evangelical-christian (because that IS the state religion you know!), then I'm really screwed.
"No officer, I wasn't flipping off Liberty University as I drove by... I was... uh... flipping off the bird flying above Jerry Falwell's office... I mean... it looked like he was defecating at will... one of those 'poopies' could have hit Jerry squa'h on his faaaaiaiaiaische!"
3:23 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home