Welcome to my Human Thought Factory Outlet... step inside for a wide selection and HUGE savings on all of my favorite (and random) spews!

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Lebanese Politics

Interesting article in the Washington Post on-line today. (Sorry, you have to register your zip code to view the article). I found this quote interesting from a Lebanese politician:

"It's strange for me to say it, but this process of change has started because of the American invasion of Iraq," explains Jumblatt. "I was cynical about Iraq. But when I saw the Iraqi people voting three weeks ago, 8 million of them, it was the start of a new Arab world." Jumblatt says this spark of democratic revolt is spreading. "The Syrian people, the Egyptian people, all say that something is changing. The Berlin Wall has fallen. We can see it."

Chez and Jeremiah would appreciate this!

Of course, if the Syrians do leave, I sure as hell hope that Hezbollah doesn't take over. That wouldn't be a step in the right direction. In fact, it would put Lebanon more on the same path that Iraq is on: An infant democracy where liberalism is already dead and theocracy threatens.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Cieslukowski said...

chew...thanks for thinking of me. sorry i've been out of touch. congrats to you and nat on being pregnant.

still love the blog.

gotta find your new cell number. i know you sent an email.

been out of politics lately. busy at work.

i am reading "the case for democracy" by sharansky. very interesting. he was a jewish political prisoner in russia during the cold war.

i am a subscriber to the washington post online. i'll check out the article.

8:18 AM

 
Blogger chewie said...

Chezman! Good to hear from you again. Glad you're busy at work - that's usually a good sign. I sent you an email, so let me know if you don't get it.

4:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home