Welcome to my Human Thought Factory Outlet... step inside for a wide selection and HUGE savings on all of my favorite (and random) spews!

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

I feel really lucky to have such a great group of friends in Blacksburg... and I love them all... So I hope I don't offend anyone by saying that today I'm really missing our Raleigh friends who currently live in Nashvegas. One of them sent me a nice heartstring-tugging email yesterday with this great review on Hotel Rwanda attached. OK, so I haven't seen the movie yet but I want to. Then again, part of me kinda doesn't want to - I get really angry and depressed about injustice in our world. None seems greater than what has happened in Rwanda and what is currently happening again in the Sudan. But once again, thank God that Jerry Falwell and the rest of the Immoral Minority are focusing on TV Sex, getting W elected, and banning gay marriage.

Rwanda Article

This article lead me to dig around about the auther. I think I may start exploring some more of the articles on his site:
anewkindofchristian.com

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right. I can't believe how mis-aligned the conservative Christian movement is with their priorities. There are so many attrocities in the world that may ignored by the moral majority, while they focus on things like denying people chicken nuggets on Sunday. For shame Chik-fil-a!

3:17 PM

 
Blogger chewie said...

Nice input! I'll put it on my reading list. Right after I get thru "Pity the Nation", "American Jesus", and the slew of baby books!

4:42 PM

 
Blogger Rex said...

Hotel Rwanda is showing at the Lyric, March 18-24 (not on the 19th). It's a rough one and I can't say too much about it. Something you have to see yourself.

10:01 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chew ...

Sup man. First time posting something to the spew. Brian is actually a good friend of mine. Somewhere along the line he mentioned me in one of his books. We are actually leading a retreat together in a few weeks. He is provoking some good thinking although there are many areas he has not covered or abandoned too quickly.

I've read through some of the posts by your friend Rob - seems like a church really burned him along the way. It's ashame, but unfortunate. I am sure that it colors his thoughts.

Also, I too do want to see Hotel Rwanda. It looks great and I am also equally disturbed by the injustice around the world. I think that we have to be careful though that we don't have the same posture towards the "moral majority" that we believe they have towards others. In many ways, people who detest them simply disagree over what issues are most important. Often those who are supportive of living in a sex-saturated, fidelity dis-honoring culture (like ours) are irate about trees being destroyed in S.America. Seems like both are important to me. While the moral majority may not carry themselves forward in the best manner at times - I don't think we can say that the West has a healthy handle on our sexuality, that lusting after multiple women (partially brought on by the scantily cladness of many ads), encouraging multiple partners, etc. - is helpful towards establishing a beautiful world.

Speaking of justice ... just the other day in the CT, PK's but a picture of a girl with her breasts hanging out all over the place to advertise a new pizza deal. Some women who felt this was unjust went to the women's center and asked if the women's center could respond to this seemingly unjust manner in which women's bodies were being manipulated to attract customers (a version of consumerist prostitution). The woman's center told them they couldn't say anything to Pk's - because they give them a good deal on pizza's for their events. Somehow that seems unjust as well.

So, while we should be upset about the genocide across the world, and the AIDS crisis in Africa, the moral majority does raise issues of importance, even though they may not propose the best solution or do it in the best way. After all, there is nothing wrong with a day of rest (as anonymous posted) - as a matter of fact, it probably would be good for everybody and help to quell the consumerist leanings of our modern world. Should it be legislated - no - is it a good idea - yes.

At some point we will have to discuss the "viral church" - some good thoughts.

Happy parenting

9:10 AM

 
Blogger chewie said...

Thanks for posting Chrisb. I appreciate a different point of view and consider this topic both interesting and curious to me, at the same time. In fact, I'm going to go ahead and "start over" with a new post as a response, so comment on that one (as people rarely read posts more than a few days old anyway).

4:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home