Welcome to my Human Thought Factory Outlet... step inside for a wide selection and HUGE savings on all of my favorite (and random) spews!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Homosexuality and the Bible, Part II

Short-time readers of my blog will remember a few posts ago that I called attention to this article by Walter Winks. What I didn't realize at the time was that there was a response written by someone else and posted the link to the same site. The response is here at christinyall.com.

I think the response seems well-written (at first) but more careful reading shows that the responder doesn't fully grasp the original points. I'm kind of disappointed that Walter never wrote a response on his site... maybe it's out there somewhere.

To dismiss Winks' 14 points simply because they are containted in the Old Testament is another exercise in the "pick-and-choose" exegesis that so many in the Church practice. There is much in the OT that is embraced by the Church that isn't necessarily spoken of in the NT. And much of the law, even if it's not followed to the letter today, forms our opinions and dispositions. I think Wink's original article's shortcoming is that it does not (and probably cannot) go into much depth on how interpretation is affected by culture, as is much of the writing in the Bible is. I think he tries to make that point on the way, but it's obviously lost on the responder.

I'm not saying I agree w/ everything he says... I'd still love to see a more even-handed and open minded dissent to his article, but unfortunately the one on "christinyall" is not it.

2 Comments:

Blogger ML said...

Finally really read this article. Very interesting and I think this is the central struggle for me regarding the Bible, how/what/when to interpret or take literal or whatever, it is very confusing at times.

11:34 AM

 
Blogger chewie said...

good point, ml, but don't ever give up! That's central to the Christian faith and your personal walk: figure out how to read and interpret in the same way you would approach your research: open-minded without pre-conceived notions or desire to defend some theology... or lifestyle for that matter (works both ways!).

3:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home