Mid-life mini-Crisis
When I was but a young lad in my mid-20's I felt that I was going through a mid-life crisis. I later read an article on the subject that said more and more younger people (20's, 30's) are having mid-life crises and it defined a mid-life crisis as going through a point in your life where you realize that things are not the way you meant them (or wanted them) to be. So you freak out.
Well, I feel like I'm having another one of those these days... but it could be that I'm just in a slightly perpetual funk. Job uncertainties for both of us and the whole kid-for-life thing settling in finally is contributing.
I think one of the first casualties of this mini-crisis is, unfortunately, my current homegroup: I'm done. Finished. We have put a bunch of effort into going as consistently as possible, but I always feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle with the folks there. I feel like we only click w/ a few of the other couples, and then they're the ones that don't come that often. It's so hard to make it work at 7pm when you have a kid w/ a 8pm or 8:30pm bedtime. F it. I'm done with homegroups and bible studies. People don't want to study... they want to socialize and hang out. " I've put in a 40 hour week, dammit!" They want to share ideas and experiences in a safe environment.
What now? Lemme tell you what now. We're gonna call a couple of hard, kitchen-hitten' friends to do a small-kid-friendly Social Dinner every week or so. It will meet at 5:30pm, Eat dinner at 6:30pm and leave whenever your kid starts to get tired! Single people encouraged to come! This segregation shit is for the birds.
I told you I was in a funk!

10 Comments:
I agree with you. Most people in a bible study want to socialize and they don't really want to be challenged about ideas. I think your dinner idea is a good one. Keep having the mini-life crisis, I think that is what keeps us growing.
8:03 AM
The chewie we know and love :) These aren't new ideas for you :)
9:36 AM
i'll bring the pliers and a blow torch!
10:41 PM
Chez!! I know you're a hard-hittin' christian, my brothah.
Couple of the guys in the video team are egging me on to do a spoof on pulp fiction: "Pulp Christian". I already have the first scene written ("Everybody be cool, this is evangelism!") but the scene I REALLY want to write is that one....
"I'm gonna call a couple of hard, bible-hittin' christians to go to work on the holmes here with a pair of handbooks and a concordance. You hear me talking heathen boy?!"
1:30 PM
get evangelical on their tushes...
laura and i haven't found a church yet here in ny. it has been about a month since we've been to one because of travelling and sleeping in.
the only thing we miss is the people. we listen to talks (nlcf, kairos and others) online, listen to music and read on our own. i don't miss the service. but it is rough going without the people.
i hope you guys make the video. it should be cool. just make sure they know which wallet is yours.
8:24 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
8:24 AM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
8:24 AM
Ah, so you've been attending services at Bedside Baptist in the morning? Yeah, that's needed sometimes but can get old. I agree - need people. But I'm at the point where I need more than just people for people's sake. I need people who challenge me, but don't resist me; those that can help stretch me without breaking the relationship. They need to be someone I have common goals with and those I can have a fun time without having to be "On". Gotta be yourself, no matter what that is. It can change, but you have to be yourself. And that's where I feel it's difficult to stay within any group. You come in on your best behavior, make some key friends that you can be yourself around, and then you and those friends do your thing. It becomes so hard to stay "on your best behavior" with the group!
Good luck finding a church in NY!
3:22 PM
Rob, It took me a while to see this comment. But yes, I think at least one post is in order!
9:38 PM
Chewie! This is a great post, and it definitely outlines the problems I'd had with HG before I left.
We have a cool thing with our "canvas" group out here, where every other week we have an outreach Dollar Dinner where everyone gets together (we have a lot of non-Christian coworkers coming to that) and eats dinner for a dollar (someone different cooks every time). Then the following week we do a hardcore bible study. It does a good job of balancing the socializing (and adds in outreach!) and the more disciplined approach to learning about the Word and our mission as Christians.
2:40 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home