Welcome to my Human Thought Factory Outlet... step inside for a wide selection and HUGE savings on all of my favorite (and random) spews!

Thursday, June 09, 2005

howard sCream

By popular demand (OK, just Barrett - but that's good enough for me!), I'm going to talk about politics again. You've been warned.

So Howard Dean has put foot in mouth and has said a bunch of things to piss people off. Am I surprised? Not really. I really like Howard Dean... here's an honest guy who DID make an honest living as a Doctor and who really says it like it is. But what Dean has said is not politially astute, but there's truth to it. When he characterized the republican party as "white Christians" for the most part, he's basically correct. He shouldn't have said it, and obviously the republican party is more diverse than that, but not MUCH more! And the ones really holding the power in that party right now and the ones that are giving it it's narrow margin are white Christians. When he said that "Republicans" have never worked an honest job (or made an honest dollar), I think he was talking about DeLay and all his fat cat cronies on the hill. And you know what? He's probably right. These guys don't work hard for a living... they make their money by exploiting the system and the poor. The problem w/ anyone in power is that power, in general, corrupts. When I was growing up in the days of Tip O'niel and Jim... what's hisname... it was obvious that it was the Democrats that were in power and were abusing it. Now it's the Republicans. So while I agree w/ Dean for the time being, I don't think it would be any different if Dems were in power.

I think what's really bad about the Bush administration (and the current Congress) is just how irreverent they are to our system of democracy and checks & balances, how brash they are about abusing their power and how darn greedy they are. I'm not sure if (1) they're so brash so it's transparent or (2) if they're so dumb, that it's transparent, therefore creating the illusion that they're more brash than previous administrations/Congresses.

I'm a centrist, so I'll probably always pull for the underdog party, just to keep the system honest and somewhat balanced.

1 Comments:

Blogger chewie said...

I didn't say the Reps aren't diverse at all, but they're certainly not the party that embraces diversity. Having people of color on your side doesn't have nearly the effect on your [percieved] diversity as does your policies - that's why the Reps don't get a fair shake when it comes to Condi and other minorities: They are NOT a party that encourages civil rights or diversity in lifestyles.

If you look at the whole thing Dean was saying, I think it's reasonable to assume he wasn't talking about you and me, but more about the Repubs in power... (ie: Delay and cronies) go back and read the whole transcript.

Delay... oh boy - he's a classic Washington Fat Cat and he's a crooked politician. I ought to dig up all the articles from the last 6 months in The New Republic and list all his transgressions. Look into the crooked things the repub controlled Ethics committee was doing to avoid having him brought up on the Ethics charges!

When I'm talking about exploiting the system, I was refering to the way the Republicans are exploiting their narrow majority to change Senate rules and have their way. They can legally do it, but it's not ethical and it's not something any other congress has ever done DESPITE having greater majorities. The reason is that the leaderships in the past have had more respect for the system of checks and balances (or maybe one can argue they weren't smart enough to think to do it!). So, yes, I do think they're exploiting the system even thought they have the legal option.

The greater principle here is a biblical one: Not everything that is permissible is beneficial. It applies in capitalism (ie: the free market you talk about). I'm all for someone working hard or getting lucky and being rich as a result... but I'm disgusted when that comes at such a high price to those around and exploiting, essentially, loopholes in the system. Normally what happens in these cases is that the loopholes are eventually closed w/ new rules and regulations. Capitalism at it's purest form requires one to fully exploit everyone and everything one can to gain the maximum benefit to one's self. The reason it works (sometimes) in practical form is the checks and balances that are there. The line between exploiting the system and using it is a very grey one. But many of these politicians write the rules so the loopholes exist for themselves to use! They cross that line on a regular basis, so there's no need to argue the "greyness" of it even!

5:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home