Welcome to my Human Thought Factory Outlet... step inside for a wide selection and HUGE savings on all of my favorite (and random) spews!

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Go See Hotel Rwanda

C-speWife and I went and saw Hotel Rwanda last night... GO SEE THIS MOVIE.

After seeing it, think about the fact that the same thing is going on right now in the Sudan. Now think about the fact that we've devoted 10's of Billions of dollars and 10's of thousands of troops to killing 10's of thousands of Civilians to a dubious war in Iraq. Now tell me we're a great country and that we're defenders of freedom and liberty and democracy in the world. Someone tell me at the same time that the UN has a backbone and is an effective organization. Seriously... if we (the world, the UN) won't do something about genocide like this in a small country, what good are we? Have we learned anything from the holocaust? ARggghh.

I'm frustrated... but the real question is what do we (individually) do now? M... you said your friend was going to look into things we can do about this. Has he gotten back to you?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send a letter to W: http://hq.demaction.org/dia/organizations/darfur/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=407

Student organizations: http://www.savedarfur.org/go.php?q=collegeCampusOrganizing.html

-cspeWife

5:49 PM

 
Blogger chewie said...

Good find, baby! I encourage anyone who cares about this to at least go to the first link here . It's pretty easy to send a letter - they've got it pre-typed and it goes to President Bush, your local congressman and senator.

12:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great links. Thanks. I've written up my own letter and sent it on.

Now think about the fact that we've devoted 10's of Billions of dollars and 10's of thousands of troops to killing 10's of thousands of Civilians to a dubious war in Iraq.

This is patently unfair, and you know it. And you are also either blind or ignorant of the hope Iraq now has because of the war. What is with this self-righteous attitude you've got toward anything this administration's done with respect to Iraq? Hell, one day you're posting a celebration of Lebanon's recent anti-Syria occupation rallies, which are directly descended from the US's actions in Iraq, the next you're denouncing the Iraq war as unjust and illegal and a hypocrisy of the highest order. Grow some eyes and take a look at what's really going on!

-J

1:48 PM

 
Blogger ML said...

My friend hasn't sent me the e-mail yet. I plan to see the movie either tonight or tomorrow night.

2:27 PM

 
Blogger chewie said...

I'm not sure what, specifically, you're bent out of shape about on the statement, so I ask for clarification. Does it change your reaction if I had said (more specifically):

"Now think about the fact that we've devoted 10's of Billions of dollars and 10's of thousands of troops to a war that has killed 10's of thousands of innocent Iraqi's and coalition soldiers"

?

3:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your reworking of the statement is at least less editorial, and more accurate. I'm still surprised that you view the war as dubious or unjust. But, I imagine we could debate (as we have before, to no real end) what costs war inevitably incur, and whether those costs were worth it. IMHO, the ramifications of the war are being seen in Iraq and now other places in the Middle East--positive changes that imply at least one thing: war can serve a positive end.

I was mostly upset by your framing of the war as a war targeting civilians, when that couldn't be further from the truth.

-J

8:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have found 300,000 people in mass graves in Iraq. Saddam's Secretary, who visited Tech the other week, said he estimates 4.5 million people were killed or tortured during the 30 year dictatorship, although that point I have not heard as a fact yet. Aside from motives of this war, which are important and I can discuss later, what makes Iraq an unjust and wrong war and Sudan a just one. If we were to do something in Sudan civilians would die, our soldiers would die, but it would save lives and bring justice to all those who were killed, just like we did in Iraq. What is the difference between this mass murder in these two different countries?
Barrett

9:41 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"they've got it pre-typed and it goes to President Bush, your local congressman and senator."

...and then it goes straight to their spam filter.

1:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home