Another viewpoint on the Auto Bailout
A friend recently chided me (rightly so) for no post-election blogging... I didn't realize how burned out I was on all the election coverage until about 12 hours after election night! But I find myself over and over again thinking "I'm so glad Obama won..." especially the more news that came out about Palin and the more dire our economic situation looks.
I guess the hot-button issue right now is the Auto bailouts... I thought I'd weigh in on that. I read an article in the WSJ that basically said the US auto industry is now more than just the big 3 and it's OK if they go bankrupt or even cease to exist. I'm not sure I share that view. I do find it amazing that the government can give them _any_ money while leaving the CEO (much less most of the top management) in place. But I do think we have a duty to help out the industry. Some of it is national pride, but most of it is economic self-interest.
This article makes some great points about why it's important for us not to lose yet another industry and also dispells some of the "$70/hour" myths.
I'm still amazed at how much these companies are saddled by healthcare. And yet big business is _just_ now warming up to the idea of universal healthcare. I hope Obama really pushes that one during his first term.

2 Comments:
i just *love* that its a socialist solution to a capitalist problem. no one seems to want to talk about that :)
8:36 PM
Chewie, you need to get the duster out and get rid of some of these cobwebs... It's 2009 already!
5:43 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home