Welcome to my Human Thought Factory Outlet... step inside for a wide selection and HUGE savings on all of my favorite (and random) spews!

Monday, April 07, 2008

Obama is coming!

Michelle Obama...

http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/MOraleigh

7:30pm at Reynolds (NC State).

But I'm going to try to go. She may have a less-canned stump speach than her husband. And she seems just as smart. Maybe she'll say something controversial! Ooooooo!

4 Comments:

Blogger traci said...

Please let me know if you Go! I can't because I'm recouping from my wisdom teeth, but would love to hear about it.

6:00 PM

 
Blogger chewie said...

I did go! It was really great and I now have a new celebrity crush! :)

The event filled up about 1/2 of Reynolds Colusium (5K people). I felt like a distict minority, racially, but that was OK. Having been to a campaign stop for John Edwards in 2004, I didn't expect Mrs. Obama until 45 minutes after the scheduled time. I showed up at 7:15pm; the scheduled start was 7:30pm; At 7:40 or so, some campaign worker went up and talked a little. Then about 8:15pm, a single mom from NY went on and gave a long, but colorful introduction. Michelle then spoke for 1 hour 20 minutes.

She spoke a lot about the campaign at first, saying that at each point, "they" raised the bar for what constituted a "successful" candidate. You had to raide money.... then the bar moved... you have to win Iowa... then the bar moved... you have to win the big states... etc.

She then brought that theme back around to everyday people and how are lives are like that. go to college... then the bar moves... etc. It was really compelling and she was very articulate and intelligent in her rhetoric.

She also used the inexperience argument and turned it around to highlight that Barack could have written his ticket anywhere but he chose to work on the south side of chicago w/ the underpriveledged and how that highlights his character (what he did when people weren't watching) and gives him _better_ experience credentials than his opponents.

It was a really great speech... sometimes the history/background was a bit long, but overall I was really impressed. Watched her work the crowd afterwards and that was impressive in and of itself! Lots of autographs, never really stopped to pose for pictures (she just let people take her picture or their picture w/ her in the background while she signed away and kept talkin to people... very efficient).

Security was surpisingly thin.. but there. I would expect to be a lot higher for Barack when he comes!

11:13 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the update. Holly and I have been following the election as much as we can, but i would have say that I'm getting tired of the never ending primary. At least all the people in the later states (i.e. NC) get to see the candidates.

I thought this was the year that the Dems couldn't lose, but it looks like they are finding a way.

You need to get a shirt for Malayna: Obama T-Shirt

11:40 AM

 
Blogger chewie said...

YEAH!!! THAT is the coolest kids shirt I've seen in a long time!

10:18 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home