Photography
So Abbey's wedding pictures are online now for those who attended the wedding:
http://redturtlephoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1937344
And speaking of photography, I'm going to set up my own photography business in the coming months (apart from Red Turtle), but I need a name. I'm trying to avoid my name and anything that's too local. My business will be "Life Photography", including weddings and portraiture in natural settings (ie: not studio). The goal will be to have a place to put my portfolio and generate some (but not too much) business from people who appreciate my style. Some leading candidates:
The "normal" name: Blue Room Photography
"Trendy" number names: 64 light, Shutter 10, Point 74 (or substitute another number for any of those...)
Another "trendy" sounding name: Diffusion Life Photography
The "silly/funny" name: Foto Manchew (could come up w/ some cool logos for this!)
The "heritage" name: Red Tortoise Photography
The "Tongue-in-cheek" name: A Guy and his Camera
"Play on music" names: Still Life Photography (Connells); byline to "Blue Room Photography": A new frame, a new perspective (U2)
I like Blue Room or 64 light the best so far, but I'm open to input. There is already a Bentlight Studios in Blacksburg... would "64 light" be too close? Any input/criticism is welcome.

10 Comments:
i think you should use something to compete with magnifico... maybe something like "fantastitico photography" or "awesomeall photography"...
or something that makes you into an artist: "leornardo with a lens photography" or "painter of light" (although i think that one is already used)..
or you could go with something really punny like "excelens photography" or "smooth as shutter"
seriously though.. i like blue room and 64 light.
3:06 PM
What about:
Shutter Spark Photography
The Ideal Perspective
Blue Flash Photography
Warm Light Photographers
Inspired Photography
My favorite out of the above being "Shutter Spark Photography"...
3:21 PM
Anony., I like "Smooth as Shutter"! It is kinda punny and since I don't have a mullet and a mustache (despite Todd's best efforts to talk me into them), I'm not sure I'll go that route!
Manu, for a photographer "Shutter Spark" sounds like there's something REALLY wrong with my camera! :) I like the word "Perspective"... Maybe just strip it down to "Perspective Life Photography"
5:22 PM
"Blue room" is pretty good (but what's the significance?). Don't quite understand "64 light". If you're going with numbers, why not "John 3:16 Photography"?
Or you could go the au natural approach with "Full Moon Photography"
Or old school with a derivative of "camera obscura", how about "Mark Obscura"?
Or break it down to greek roots (phos = light, graphis = paintbrush or stylus, literally "painting with light"). What's greek for Chew? I'm thinking something like "Chewgraphis" (painting with Chewie) or simply, "Teezgraphis"
Ooh. how about "Chew's Gamera" -- you even have a mascot: http://www.cinegeek.com/images/dvd/dvd_2005/gamara_boxset/Gamera%202.jpg
7:44 PM
It looks like everyone is having fun with this-here are some others-
Diffused Light Photography
Pixel Percpectives
16 Bit Photography
Focus 64 Photography
The Blue Room does not do it for me and 64 Light sounds like a beer to me. But as you know I'm old and out of touch (off kilter images rock)
I am sure whatever name you decide on will fit. Additionally I think your new web site will be a good place to add some of the silly stuff-
10:16 PM
Too bad you're not Korean, otherwise this might work:
Seoul Catch Photos
Get it? We'll capture your soul! Maybe not the marketing message you want... but it works on so many levels! Well, atleast 3 levels.
I'm sure somebody has already proposed:
Full Exposure Photography... bow-chika-wow-wow.
20 Pounds Lighter and 10 Years Younger... 'cause almost everybody wants to be...
Smile wit' yo Eyes Photography
Blue Sky Photography
Baby, You Look So Good Bathed In Radiation... if you don't use this, we're using it for our next B-rated horror movie.
Maybe playing with opposites?
Blind Flash Photography
Light Hammer Portraits
Riotous Elegance Photography
Libertine Nun Photos
10:05 AM
"Your Blue Room" is a U2 B-side (from Staring at the Sun) that, as far as I can interpret, talks about a refuge or place for introspection... perhaps a place for reflection... called "Your Blue Room". And my photography is kind of like that for me - a place I can go back to and gain a "new perspective" when needed... a retreat when other aspects of life start crowding in. The song uses photographic imagery as well:
A new frame
A new perspective
...
Zooming in, Zooming out...
...
A lens to it all up close
to magnify what nobody knows, etc.
Plus I'm a big U2 fan.
If you do a net search, there are about 4,583 blues bars called "The Blue Room" out there, but I was thinking along the lines of "Blue Room Photography". I think that's the way I'm leaning, but I'm not 100% yet.
Thanks for all the input everyone! Especially you, Manu... Some of those are tempting! "Elegant Riot Photography" with Dee Snider.
4:53 PM
Well Chew - I'd have to say Blue Room fits my criteria: Adjective + Noun + "Photography". This has helped many of my colleagues in the past, particularly the owner of Green Door Photography, Pale Morning Photography and Vermillion Tortuga Photography (wait, no, that's Red Turtle... me!)
But, I do like Blue Room.
Other things I've pondered and liked:
Silverleaf Photography
Wink & A Smile Photography
Uncommon Air Photography
LifeScape Photography
There ya go, man! My contribution.
12:29 PM
Thanks Katie...
Hmmmm.... does anyone know that place in Nags Head: Tortuga's Lie? How about Tortuga's Lens? :)
4:03 PM
"Your Blue Room" is originally off the "The Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1" which is an underappreciated album. U2 combined with Brian Eno and did soundtracks to a number of short films. The song was inspired by a Wim Wenders film.
"Your Blue Room" is a great song, and it is the first time Adam Clayton provided vocals.
This is useless information, but the post did make me go back and listen to "The Passengers."
10:36 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home