Goals...
So in light of Absent Parent Day, one of the new goals of fatherhood is to make sure your kids don't celebrate that anti-day/non-holiday. I've heard Chris Rock in the past say that if you have a daughter, your primary goal as a father should be to "keep her off the pole"... ie: make sure she doesn't ever have to "resort" to becoming a stripper.
Since everyone's been quiet recently, I thought I'd try to fire things up and discuss this topic. I'm not sure I agree with Mr. Rock. Maybe it's my hormones.... Or maybe it's my anti-establishment leanings. Even as a kid, my dad used to threaten us with becoming a "trashman" if we didn't study or listen to our parents, etc. I rebeled and started telling him that I WANTED to be a trashman. From my point of view it was a stress-free job and someone had to do it! Besides, why dog on the trashman's job? Didn't seem very nice. My dad, wisely, then resorted to encouraging me to not just become a trashman, but to become the _president_ of the trash company! :)
So assuming that you raise your daughter well and give her all the self-esteem, self-worth, good self-view, and leadership, etc. that you can... what if she became really financially successful at stripping and had no emotional or religious issues with it? What is inherently wrong with that? Isn't that a more respectable profession than, say, being an injury attorney? Or an insurance rep? I hear full-time strippers in good clubs easily make over 6-figures. So from that point of view, I can say to my daughter "fine, be a stripper, but be the owner of your own strip club" or "...but work at a classy place making 6-figures!" Of course, my point of view only counts for 50%... we'll see what her mother thinks.

3 Comments:
As the father of 3 daughters my primary wish is that they grow up with self esteem. If I can help them achieve that, I'll be incredibly happy. With self esteem, hopefully they will make choices that are right for them - that's all I can ask. I want them to be happy and make choices that are in line with that. I don't think there are many professions that are inherently bad - just bad people in them or people in them for the wrong reasons. I'll support my girls in most any profession.
10:02 PM
Lets all git naked briefs and aLl! ; )
4:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, do you claim to be a truster in Christ? If so, I'm curious how you would mesh your position with what the Bible teaches. If not, I'm not trying to burden your conscience, so please ignore my question.
Either way, I still would hope that you would want your daughter to be about something more than promoting women as "body parts for men". Beyond that I'm all for people having an appropriate esteem for themselves, yet Hitler among others seemed to be pretty self-confident, self-assured, and had a pretty high self-esteem, and look where it led him. But at least his parents could glory in his self-esteem.
3:44 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home