Journeys
Our trip to Raleigh this past weekend put us in touch with a lot of our Baptist friends and the circles we used to hang out in. Four to six years removed, it's a bit bizarre - almost like a window to your past. I feel like we have changes so much, especially on religion and politics.
Then I read some of the recent posts on Elle's blog about her journey and I realize that I don't have a good story to tell people about how I got to where I am today. I remember thinking those things before... and I know why I used to... and I know why I think what I do now. But I have a harder time making the jump or telling someone how and why. Perhaps because it's so complicated and takes time. Perhaps it's because it's so personal. I'm not sure.
I really like Rob's church site - it's a good blog about his current philosophies and how he got there. I wish I had time to write several essays on the topic, but I don't. Heck, I haven't even had the chance to respond on Elle's blog. But I'm glad to be surrounded by friends who are willing to discuss these things because ultimately these are 2 of the most important areas in our lives... at least those that affect us the most.
Anyone been thru spiritual journeys or political about-faces? Anyone going through it? How do you document it? How do you get some of your old friends or family to understand where you're coming from now?

1 Comments:
Fortunately I think we're all still making our story. If I were to graph my level of change over time, it would be a relatively steady growth rate, with a few blips due to significant experiences. I agree, it tough to document, but it's a good exercise to think about when, how, and why we've changed. It keeps us on our toes and brings hope for the future. I hope I never settle into a single way of life and stop changing.
5:27 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home