Welcome to my Human Thought Factory Outlet... step inside for a wide selection and HUGE savings on all of my favorite (and random) spews!

Monday, August 30, 2004

Book Review

So I'm deeply engrossed (no pun intended) in the book "Fast Food Nation" right now... Really facinating stuff. I highly recommend it - especially you young college kids: READ THIS BOOK and stop eating fast food (especially beef) before it's toooooo late!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0395977894/102-3718971-9802569?v=glance

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think these type of books can be very enlightening. They can be powerful forces for change in our society (see "the jungle" by Upton Sinclair). However, I think there is also a danger in taking these books too seriously. Every facet of our lives carries some risk. Whether it is crossing the street, taking an airplane ride, or eating fast food. If you let these these risks become too important in your decision making it can cause some serious anxiety issues. As a recovering aerophobic, I am very sensative to this sort of thing. Fast food, in moderation, is not an unhealthy nor dangerous way to eat.

11:26 AM

 
Blogger ML said...

Are you trying to bring down my family and its only means of survival? :( It's all about moderation, besides can't we have a few pleasures, I love steak!

12:48 PM

 
Blogger chewie said...

Life is always about balance. I'll eat fast food every now and then (usually because it's all that's available). But when I can I avoid it. And now I'll avoid it even more - It's more that I don't want to support the labor practices of the industry than it is my concern about being the one out of 14 people a day that gets E.Coli and dies! That and it's generally unhealthy.

12:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on C-spew! This book isnt all about stopping people from eating fast food or putting farmers out of work, so much as it is about the politics surrounding deadly working conditions of meat packing plants, the lack of meat inspection by our government (because of politicians who take loads of money from agribusiness, fast food chains, and similar interest groups) and the power the fast food industry has to change these problems. Did you know McDonalds does not make their money in food, but in real estate???? Once you get finished reading this book, try reading Nickeled and Dimed - On (Not) Getting By in America.

1:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought a house from Ronald once, but the bastard screwed me. Turns out there were hundreds of kids living in it (something I was not aware of) and now I have to support them.

11:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home