Olympics
Been on vacation for a few days, so I've been spooling hours upon hours to my Replay. I actually ran out of space for the first time since I upgraded to a 137-hour drive (hee hee - gotta love the PVR hacks). Anyway, I look forward to watching it. I hope I got the men's gymnastics mess spooled. CNN/SI had a great article on this - read the last paragraph:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/olympics/2004/writers/08/23/
swift.gym/index.html

7 Comments:
Good article. I had heard there was hoopla but hadn't researched the facts yet. Thanks.
6:17 PM
(Said in a deep voice that I couldn't possibly do)Welcome to the wide-world of Blogging! Ahh, the media, they drive me crazy, everything is drama, drama, drama, there has to be something to get upset about.
9:53 AM
Replay sucks, Tivo rules!
12:34 AM
ha! Replay has a better hacker's community so you can do more with it. My 3030 w/ a lifetime subscription has been updated from a 40-hour to 137-hour. I think the Tivo hacks are just now getting out there. Also, some of the 5000 series Replays have broadband and the capability to trade shows. There's a whole underwold out there - it's like Napster (of old) for your PVR. Most friends of mine who have done recent research on the 2 end up settling on Replay. Not sure if that still holds. And yes, I bit!
1:47 PM
Oh yeah? Well, Tivo can beat up your Replay.
2:38 PM
I think the story everyone is overlooking is more important than the doping scandals, the blind nationalism, or even the seductive outfits of the beach volleyball women. The most inspirational athlete of these olympics isn't Hicham El Guerrouj of Morocco, or Michael Phelps with his medal count -- the most inspirational athlete is Toby Stevenson of the United States.
Toby is the only athlete at the olympics that wears a helmet. His first concern is not about medals or winning -- its about safety! If all of the other olympians learn one lesson from these olympics, it should be how important it is to be safe.
I would like to see helmets mandatory in other events such as ping pong. Do you realize that a well-served ping pong ball can move at upwards of 50+ MPH? China, the long-dominating country in that sport, has always been reckless in their helmet-wearing and human rights violations. We certainly cannot expect them to adopt helmets anytime soon, but we can set an example with our own ping pong team and hope that the rest of the country follows our lead.
Did you know that an olympic swimmer can hit speeds of upwards of 50+ MPH? If a swimmer like Phelps were to miss his turn and hit the wall, it would be curtains for him for sure. A helmet would not only prevent head injuries, but also could be shaped for better aerodynamics in the water.
And don't even get me started about weight lifting. Did you know that the clean and jerk can exceed speeds of 50+ MPH?
Lets all remember what's important out there -- safety. Toby has his priorities straight, and we're all better for it.
2:53 PM
haha! Yeah! Safety first!
4:17 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home